Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Is a tagged revision independent of the source?

From: Adrian Irving-Beer
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Is a tagged revision independent of the source?
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 22:11:33 -0500

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 05:52:33PM -0600, Rob Browning wrote:

> Just to make sure I understand tag semantics, if I run "tla tag foo
> bar" is bar independent of foo after that?  In particular, if the
> archive containing foo goes away, will bar and everything subsequent
> to bar still function correctly?

Sort of.  As long as you cacherev bar, it has all the
information it needs. So it's independent in that it can operate
even if foo vanishes.

Obviously, they're not completely separate, since bar knows how to
star-merge from foo, etc.  But they will function separately.

Note that tagging across archives automatically[1] creates a cacherev
(and tells you).  Since you generally shouldn't remove *parts* of an
archive, that's usually sufficient.

  [1]  At least, it always does when I do it, although I use a
       wrapper.