[Gnu-arch-users] Re: [GNU-arch-dev] Re: [ANNOUNCE] Arch 2.0 release (rev

From: John A Meinel
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [GNU-arch-dev] Re: [ANNOUNCE] Arch 2.0 release (revc.0.0x2)
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 10:04:06 -0500

Neal Becker wrote:
> Don't know why, but make system is broken on revc.0.0x2.
>
> After doing
> mkdir build
> cd build
> ../configure
> make
>
> If I do again
>
> make or make install
>
> everything is re-compiled, tests are re-run, etc.

What version of gcc are you using?
In the script that creates dependencies there is some filtering of $(CC)
-E (I believe), because Tom was attempting to be compatible, and not use
the gcc -MM flags.
Anyway, gcc changed the output, to include the directory name, which was
not getting filtered out.
Since most systems update the mtime of a directory when it's contents
change, this causes a dependency problem.

Anyway, if you look into:
src/build-tools/Makefiles/cpp-to-includes.sed
(I'm not sure where this is in the revc tools, I'm following tla/baz here)

Anyway, in that file you need a line like this:
/\/\/$/d

(The bogus lines end in //, so you just remove lines that look like that).

> This is bad, because I (like many others) want to do
>
> make
> sudo make install
>
> and step2 fails if build dir is nfs mounted.

John
=:->