[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Re: Re: Future of GNU Arch, bazaar and bazaar-ng ..

From: Matthieu MOY
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Re: Re: Future of GNU Arch, bazaar and bazaar-ng ... ?
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 15:39:20 +0200 (CEST)

Aldrik KLEBER said:

>> So if I made two changes to a file, I can commit once and select
>> only the first hunk, then commit again and let it write the second
>> hunk to the archive.
> you can commit
> _  the full tree : baz commit
> _ a set of file:  baz commit file1 file2 file3
> or baz commit --file-list   list_of_file_to_commit.txt
> _  just a file : baz commit file1

darcs has finer grain than this. You can commit just a hunk for a file,
i.e. if the diff is

@@...@@
 foo
-bar
+baz
 foobar
@@...@@
 XXX
-YYY
 ZZZ

you can commit only the "-YYY" if you whish.

With tla/baz, you can do it only by making a temporary copy of the working
directory, undoing the unwanted changes (with something like ediff for
example), commit-ing in the temporary copy and updating (merge --three-way
to avoid conflicts) in the other one. That's fine if you do this
occasionnaly, but not acceptable if you have to do it regularly.

(Be warned that cherrypicking at commit time means you commit a tree that
may never have existed, and that has probably never been tested or
compiled. That's one of the reasons why people started to dislike CVS.)

--
Matthieu