Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch 2.0 survey followup

From: Andy Tai
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch 2.0 survey followup
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 00:27:22 -0700

On 4/30/06, Mark Flacy <address@hidden> wrote:
On 2006.04.30 13:55, Talli Somekh wrote:

> * Windows is critical. I have inside information that one of the
> biggest software companies in the world evaluated GNU Arch but
> rejected it in favor of Perforce because windows was not supported.
> This was before the Great Schism when everything went Python.

I will agree that if Tom wants to use Arch 2.0 to feed his family,
then Windows support is critical.

I won't agree that Windows support is critical for GNU software.

I don't fully agree. Steve Job's using gcc for NextStep to Mac OS X
did not/does not matter to the GNU Project's goal of a free OS, but
the gcc contribution by Apple (and many chip makers whose product may
be more used in car engines than in user hackable personal computers)
has been valuable to the development of gcc. Good Windows support in
GNU Arch may attract industrial support which may not matter to most
GNU software but will help the GNU Project (including GNU Arch)
nonetheless.

--
Andy Tai, address@hidden