[Gnu-arch-users] Arch 2.0 and Google Summer of Code

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Arch 2.0 and Google Summer of Code
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 20:54:22 -0700

I am pleased to report that Saurabh Sehgal has been selected
as a student for the Google Summer of Code program.
I am his official mentor with Andy as backup mentor
and "guy looking over my shoulder to keep me sane" :-)

Saurabh will be working on Arch 2.0, first on support for
`inventory' related features and then for `mkpatch/dopatch'
features.

I've already written `revc', a first-pass storage manager
for Arch 2.0.   When inventory and patch mechanics are
done, Arch 2.0 will only be missing tree history modules
(including smart merging logic), and integration of the
various components -- at least for basic revctl functionality.

Unlike Arch 1.x, the various major components of 2.0
are being developed as separate, stand-alone components.
The integration task will be harder than it was in 1.x. There will still be some work to do even after all the major components are in place.
Components like `inventory', `mkpatch/dopatch', and `revc'
should be useful independently as well as in combination.
Therefore, Saurabh is going to be starting from "the empty
directory" and building independent tools, rather than starting
from tla or revc and adding features.

I hope the community will support this work.

I'll be back in the next few days with a web site update
to act as a hub for this new work.

Congratulations Saurabh.