Re: gds.el --- Emacs interface to Google Desktop Search

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: gds.el --- Emacs interface to Google Desktop Search
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 11:07:36 +0100

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

> Is Google Desktop Search a non-free program?  I think that it is.
> If so, people should not be installing it on their computers.  (The
> same is true of Apple's iTunes software.)

I'm sure it is.

> Also, it is not a good thing to release software that only runs on
> Windows.  Doing so effectively encourages people to use Windows,
> which is exactly what we want to discourage.

I'm not sure if you refer to gds.el or Google Desktop here, but
asuming you refer to gds.el, here is my response:

My viewpoint is that if I can "stay in Emacs" as much as possible, by
writing interfaces to this and that tool or program, that can only be
a good thing, for me and for others. Emacs has had things like that
before, for example `sql-oracle', which I use a lot, interfaces with
Oracle's SQL*Plus tool, which is probably very non-free.

In my case I have GD installed on my machine because I think it helps
me, and I wanted to interface to it, to make my Emacs experience
better. If there were a free replacement I would use that instead and
interface to that one.