mpc.el: an Emacs front end for the Music Player Daemon

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: mpc.el: an Emacs front end for the Music Player Daemon
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 14:03:35 -0500

Let me announce the first distribution of mpc.el, which is my home grown
Emacs front end to control my Music Player Daemon (which I have running on
my router, incidentally).

It mostly provides a browser inspired from Rhythmbox for your music
collection and also allows you to play the music you select.  The basic
interface is somewhat unusual for mpd in that it does not provide direct
access to MusicPD's playlist functionality.  Instead it uses MusicPD's
playlist internally to implement a queue of songs.  This means that it does
not always interact nicely with other clients that you may be using at the
same time.

I play albums rather than songs and thus don't have much need for playlists,
and it shows. Playlist support exists, but is embryonic.  The intention is
to handle playlists just like any other attributes.  I.e. placing a file in
playlist FooSongs is treated as equivalent to adding a tag
"playlist=FooSongs".

The package is in the early stage of development.  If you're not interested
in fiddling with the code, it's probably too early for you to try it out.
But if you do try it out, please tell me how it goes.

It is developed with Emacs-CVS and should work with Emacs-21 as well
(i.e. it's been lightly tested under and adapted to Emacs-21).

The bare tarball is at http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~monnier/elisp/

        Stefan