[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Fri, 20 Oct 2006 20:11:39 +0200
Gnus/5.11 (Gnus v5.11) Emacs/22.0.50 (gnu/linux)
speechd-el 2.1 released
The Free(b)soft project is pleased to announce speechd-el 2.1.
* What is speechd-el?
speechd-el is an Emacs client to speech synthesizers, Braille displays
and other alternative output interfaces. It provides full speech and
Braille output environment for Emacs using the Speech Dispatcher and
BrlTTY backends. It is focused especially on (but not limited to) the
blind and visually impaired users. It allows the user to work with
Emacs without looking on the screen, by listening to speech output
produced by the speech synthesizers supported in Speech Dispatcher and
watching Braille output on Braille displays supported by BrlTTY.
Key speechd-el features are:
- Speech output and Braille input/output.
- Automated "intelligent" reading of most Emacs messages and actions.
Additional commands for explicit reading.
- Message priorities, voice parameter changes, sound icons and other
features provided by Speech Dispatcher.
- Multilingual support.
- Almost no change of the standard Emacs behavior, no interference
with user settings.
- Highly configurable.
- Possibility to add support for other alternative output methods.
- Elisp libraries for generic speech, Braille and other kinds of
output as well as for alternative user interface programming.
- Small code size.
- Free Software, distributed under the GPL.
More information about speechd-el (including comparison with
Emacspeak) can be found on its web page, see
* What is new in the 2.1 version?
This is primarily a bug fix release, many bugs were fixed.
Additionally there are a few new user visible features:
- Invisible text is no longer read.
- Support for BrlTTY 3.8, especially its 64-bit key codes and the
WINDOWPATH environment variable (renamed from WINDOWSPATH).
The project web page was completely reworked, you can find more useful
information there now: http://www.freebsoft.org/speechd-el .
* Where to get it?
You can get the distribution tarball of the released version from
The home page of the project is http://www.freebsoft.org/speechd-el .
|[Prev in Thread]
||[Next in Thread]|
- speechd.el 2.1,
Milan Zamazal <=