Re: ;;; anything.el --- open anything

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: ;;; anything.el --- open anything
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 02:15:37 -0700

On Jun 25, 10:12 am, Mathias Dahl <address@hidden> wrote:

> I changed the sources to suit my needs better, adding recentf history
> and bookmarks:
> >
> I might also try to extend it to find my Jabber buddies and start
> chatting with them.

Cool. The default sources are only an example. Everyone should
customize them to their taste.

If this thing proves to be useful in the long term I envision people
providing confgurations for different sources and one will be able to
simply pick the sources they prefer and use them.

> Will this work with interactive action functions as well? I can see
> how that could be useful sometimes.

You mean commands?

> One idea I had when thinking about my hack was to have some
> keybindings for jumping to the next group of hits, to the next
> source. Maybe that is something you want to look into?

Do you mean the current <left>/<right> bindings? They are already
provided. See the latest version on Emacs Wiki.

> Also, my idea was to format the hit list by indenting each hit, to
> make it easier to find the relevant source:
>
> Buffers
>  some buffer 1
>  some buffer 2
>
> File Name History
>  some file 1
>  some file 2
>
> Maybe you could try and see how that looks with your code as well?

Okay, but I want to added other functionality first. Aesthetics have
to wait until then.

> PS. This could probably be extended to be something very similar to
> QuickSilver.

Yes, QuickSilver was the original inspiration, though I haven't used a
Mac, so I've never used it, only read descriptions about it. I imagine
this package will provide similar functionality to QuickSilver when
matured.