Re: [OT] Re: realplay.el interface with Real Player v. 1879

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [OT] Re: realplay.el interface with Real Player v. 1879
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 09:42:37 -0400

    and perhaps you're missing some of the subtlety of david's point: if
    mplayer did not support non-free codecs, some (many) people wouldn't even
    consider giving GNU/Linux a try.

This is exactly what I mentioned in my previous message.  The mplayer
approach sacrifices the appreciation of freedom to make today's free
software more popular.  In the short term, the results are good.  In
the long term, it is harmful, because it teaches people to aim
for popularity rather than freedom.