Re: [OT] Re: realplay.el interface with Real Player v. 1879

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: [OT] Re: realplay.el interface with Real Player v. 1879
Date: 22 Jul 2007 22:50:07 GMT

Richard Stallman wrote:
> Consider for instance "open source", started in 1998 as a way of
> talking about free software while not aiming ethical criticism at
> non-free software.  Some of the people who started open source sought
> to bring the free software message to more people, by presenting it in
> a different way.  Their manner of presentation was to take the easier
> course, not confronting the central ethical issue.  They made the
> usual arguments that "to change the world, you have to be big."  They
> thought they could present the same issue to more people using their
> presentation.
>
> Their actions did bring a message to a lot more people, but it wasn't
> the free software movement's message.  It had changed into a message
> of "it's ok for you to use any non-free software if you want to."
> What they considered a mere change in presentation of the message had
> gutted its heart and soul.

i'm not familiar enough with the start of the open source movement, but the
way i've always understood it is that those who started it did not have the
goal of bringing the message of free software to the larger public, but
rather the message of open source (which, as you probably know better than
anyone, is not the same thing).

> There is another reason to be skeptical of your advice: you disagree
> with the message you are trying to help us present.  I am sure you are
> sincere in trying to think about it from our point of view, but your
> real views will have an effect.

this may of course be the case. perhaps i should stress that my advice, as
you put it, was mainly intended as a theoretical exercise, an attempt at
understanding the issues better myself, and at explaining them to Tim (who,
as it turned out, understood them more than well enough already...)

--
Joost Kremers                                      address@hidden
EN:SiS(9)