Re: ;;; anything.el --- open anything

From: Bill Clementson
Subject: Re: ;;; anything.el --- open anything
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 15:03:02 -0700

Hi Tamas/Tassilo,

"address@hidden" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,,
>
> On Aug 23, 9:58 pm, Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Oh, while I was typing those lines I realized that it's possible right
>> now!  Add every and each source to anything-sources and fire up anything
>> with
>>
>> (defun th-anything ()
>>   (interactive)
>>   (anything-set-source-filter '(anything-c-source-foo
>>                                 anything-c-source-bar
>>                                 anything-c-source-baz))
>>   (anything))
>>
>> Oh, doesn't work!  It errors!

Interestingly, I tried the same thing a few days ago (for much the
same reason - I wanted to have a "trimmed-down" anything configuration
for "normal" use and a "heavy-weight" anything configuration for
"special" searches).

> anything-set-source-filter  is meant to be used during M-x anything,
> because it invokes anything-update:
>
> (defun anything-set-source-filter (sources)
>   "Sets the value of `anything-source-filter' and updates the list of
> results."
>   (setq anything-source-filter sources)
>   (anything-update))
>
> You can try setting anything-source-filter manually and start Anything
> after that.

It doesn't work if an anything buffer doesn't exist.

By the way, another thing that used to bug me was having the woman
initialization done when I didn't configure the man pages source. In
the end, I got around it by defining the vars in my .emacs file before
the anything-config require - eg:

(defvar anything-sources nil "Prevent loading of woman")
(defvar anything-c-source-man-pages nil "Prevent loading of woman")
(require 'anything-config)

but, anything and anything-config should probably be making certain
that they don't load things that the user doesn't want loaded.

- Bill