Re: contentswitch.el --- switch to buffer/file by content

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: contentswitch.el --- switch to buffer/file by content
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 12:31:59 -0500

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 06:55:08 -0700 (PDT) "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
wrote:

sc> On Aug 21, 3:50 pm, Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 13:27:46 -0700 (PDT) "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
>> wrote:
>>
>> You need to check if a file is going to be opened by Tramp; if so, it
>> usually requires a network trip and often is inconvenient for the user.

sc> Good point. I didn't occur to me slow network drives could be a
sc> problem.

>> For me at least, it's a very cool idea that is unusable without the
>> change above because my recent file history is spread over 20 servers
>> and 5 encrypted files.  I can send you a patch for the options above.

sc> Please do.

This was not heavily tested, so check it out for yourself.  I added
defcustoms to all your user-visible variables (except for the keymap), I
hope that's OK.  Users can now say

(setq contentswitch-ignore '(hidden-buffer encrypted remote))

and it will skip remote or encrypted files and hidden buffers.  The
hidden-buffer option will not drop files with names starting with " "
because the function knows if you pass a buffer or not.

I made the default '(remote) but the set above may be more appropriate
for users in general.  Hidden buffers in particular can be a problem
since they can contain lots of junk data.

Ted