Re: thing-at-point-utils 1.12.5

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: thing-at-point-utils 1.12.5
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 21:14:53 +0200

Richard Riley wrote:
> Andreas Roehler <address@hidden> writes:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> proudly announcing a new version,
>> some words about the changes:
>>
>> thing-at-point-utils comes with a lot of commands like
>> `doublequote-graph-atpt', `brace-alnum-atpt' etc.
>>
>> Its too many to specify (and remember) keys for all of it IMO.
>> Thus M-x COMMAND will be used quite often.
>>
>> OTOH sometimes it might be of interest, to examine the
>> object first, before dealing with it.
>>
>> Then its seems convenient, for example with a call
>> `graph-atpt' (the character-class [[:graph:]])
>> to have these characters highlighted.
>>
>> With new var `thing-mark-region', t per default, region now is
>> activated respective to THING. Thus commands operating on
>> region may follow, for example `doublequote-region-atpt'.
>>
>> Now the key-set-question is to answers different, as the
>> commands operating on region count much more less in
>> numbers.
>>
>> So I have set the following:
>>
>> (global-set-key [(control \))] 'parentize-region-atpt)
>> (global-set-key [(control })] 'brace-region-atpt)
>> (global-set-key [(control \])] 'bracket-region-atpt)
>>
>> Comments welcome.
>>

> Are you aware of the useful thingatpt+ libraries from Drew Adams which
> extend thingatpt?

Had an exchange of views with Drew two years ago so far at the matter.

>  What is the crossover/overlap?

Don't understand your question. The core functions differ profoundly and
thats not per chance.
Results might be similar occasionally. However,  Drew Adams thingatpt+
offered a lot of functions
like near- after- and before-THING, which thing-at-point-utils don't
provide now.

Just wrote what I wanted to use.  Thingatpt  core was buggy at that
time. Changed
the guts in order to cure some bugs, having the core less complex,
easier to extend.