Re: linked-buffer.el 0.1

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: linked-buffer.el 0.1
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 14:53:00 +0000

Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:
>>> "Phillip" == Phillip Lord <address@hidden> writes:
>
>    > This is the first (pre)-release of linked-buffer.el. Create two
>    > buffers with the same (or nearly the same) content but which are
>    > otherwise independent; different modes, different files are all
>    > possible. As well as supporting buffers with identical content, it
>    > also supports buffers with a bi-directional transformation between
>    > them.
>
> Just curious, did you try out indirect-buffer?
> Does yours provide similar features or is it totally different?

It's nearly the same, but mine is better:-)

So, indirect-buffers share the underlying data structures so are more
efficient and there is no hairy synchronisation between the buffers.
Having said that, the current implementation is very dumb (it copies the
entire buffer every keypress) and it seems to behave fine. Guess
computers have got fast.

But, the underlying data structures means that text *and* the text
properties. Given that a lot of modes rely of text properties (as does
syntax highlighting), indirect buffers in two modes tend to fight. This
limitation was the original motivation for linked-buffer.

Given that I am doing hairy synchronisation I can also transform the
buffer contents as well. So, as well as different text properties, you
can have different text as well. My motivation was for literate
programming with lisp and latex. I'll probably get it working with org
next.

Phil