Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Job to be done: list of non-free components

From: Rubén Rodríguez Pérez
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Job to be done: list of non-free components
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 23:59:32 +0200

El lun, 30-03-2009 a las 13:28 +0200, Jose E. Marchesi escribió:
> > I'd like to propose a task for this group: we need a list of all the
> > non-free bits that we are currently excluding from our distros. Some of
> > them might be well known, but I'm sure we will find others that are not.
> >
> > We need a wiki to accomplish this, that can be hosted in the FSF servers
> > (any wiki software would do). Can the sysadmins set this up? Thanks!
>
> Since that data is likely going to be accessed in an automatic way (using
> scripts or programs) I would suggest to use some kind of
> easy-to-parse-and-maintain text files, stored in a CVS or any other
> revision control system.

I like the idea, but it has some downsides (including being a little
harder to do, and we are just starting to work together): Some packages
receive different names from one distro to another, and for some cases,
the packages are not totally removed but just deblobbed. That job is
usually different for every version of the package, so manual work is
almost always needed.

I think that for a start we can document the list of well known
problematic packages (with explanations, references and replacements),
and if this job takes us to somewhere, we can think of this idea again.