[GNU-linux-libre] Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: Thunderbird recommending non-f

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: Thunderbird recommending non-free software
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 10:15:24 +0930

On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 09:30:32 -0700
David Sterry <address@hidden> wrote:

CCs dropped, I assume they read the lists.

> Yavor Doganov wrote:
> > Graziano Sorbaioli wrote:
> >
> >> Maybe we should have someone doing a libre gnu thunderbird
> >> software just as there is a libre gnu firefox one.
> >>
> >> GNU mail? :)
> >>

> > That would be confused with GNUMail [1], the GNUstep MUA.  Plus,
> > there alrady is GNU mail, GNU's implementation of the standard mail
> > program (from mailutils).
> >
> > IceCrow, IceRooster or some other Ice$BIRD in the true spirit of the
> > "iceweaselization", maybe...
> >
> It seems to me Ice was an opposite to Fire and Weasel and Cat are
> alternate animal names. The corresponding IceCatination would be to
> use the opposite of thunder and a different very general name like
> bird for example Silentfish or Mutehorse or Peacepig. Or we could try
> to make it sound cooler than Thunderbird and abandon this kind of
> mimicry altogether.

If this is done properly (as an independant project), it'll be best to
do it 'the mozilla way' and provide a separate branding directory. If
its done inside gNS only, I'll accept 'good enough' for the moment
(with a view to making it proper later).

> Of course it should probably be up to the person who does the actual
> coding to choose the name rather than the rest of us in the peanut
> gallery.

Unless its becoming an official project, in which case feedback from
peanuts might help :)
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)