Re: [GNU-linux-libre] GNU+Linux from Source Code

From: Matias A. Fonzo
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] GNU+Linux from Source Code
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 19:06:46 +0000

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 22:56:40 +1200
Bryan Baldwin <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-06-30 at 11:43 +0300, Ali Gunduz wrote:
> >
> > Oh how I would _love_ to have a source based rolling release distribution
> > :-)
> >
> > I recommend you to check out Kongoni GNU/Linux at
> > http://kongoni.co.za. It's a slackware-like distro with a bsd inspired
> > design which fits very much to what you (and I ;-)) are looking for.
> > With its next release (codenamed 'Nietzsche' and currently in beta
> > release) the main developer, A.J. Venter, is planning it to be fully
> > free and included in the FSF distro list.
> >
> > Please keep us posted.
> >
> > Ali
> >

> Having a rolling release of buildscripts is one of my more hopeful
> goals. Of course, all of the work that I do to administrate my own
> machines will get put in, but the crucial factor for success is getting
> enough maintainers to put in the work needed to support a respectable
> catalogue of buildable software.
>
> GNU+Linux from Source Code as a design won't even need buildscripts to
> be useful, but it wouldn't be an actual distribution until you can get a
> bootable machine out of just what comes with it. Just for starters, I'm
> only planning to support the basic system (a la Linux from Scratch/DIY
> Linux packages), and scale up from there. Since I mean to be a
> meta-distribution, there are some lines I do not intend to cross. I
> haven't reckoned what they all are yet, but there will be a point past
> which policy changes mean the system has become a different
> distribution. That's what I see GLFSC as in the first place, a base for
> other people's distributions. I support the distribution maker, and they
> ultimately support the user.

This issue is very interesting.  Do you have an URL of the project?.

Perhaps, you are looking for something like "Dragora" that shares some
characteristics with "Slackware Linux" and its fully free distro.  :-)

The boot system is BSD-style, very simple, flexible and transparent.

You can see the init scripts from here:

http://dragora.org/os/current/source/base/sysvinit-scripts/etc/rc.d

The package system is like Slackware, but more powerful.  It supports "tbz,
tbz2 and tlz" files.
The "tlz" format is used by default using the GNU lzip tools maintained by
Antonio Diaz Diaz,
as it achieves high compression rates.

You can use the scripts to build the packages, or install the precompiled ones
instead.

You can install a minimal base through the package selection from the
installation.