[GNU-linux-libre] Re: Freedom issues with non-free firmware in external

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: Freedom issues with non-free firmware in external files
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 20:04:03 +0300

Daniel Olivera wrote:
> Now we reject a gpl-2 software?

If its (build-)dependencies are non-free software, such a program is
absolutely useless.  It is good that it's licensed under a free
software license, as it may help with porting to an entirely free
environment.  Until that happens, though, it's a no-op.

For example, Bean.app (http://www.bean-osx.com/Bean.html) is a free
word processor that unfortunately can only be compiled and run on Muck
OS, linking with Apple's FoundationKit/AppKit libraries.  It is
currently being ported to GNUstep -- when this happens, it can be
included.

Really, I don't understand what's the question.  Even Debian who do
not follow the guidelines have a rule that a package depending on
non-free software to compile/run cannot be included in main.

> If this gpl-2 software is not operative is not our problem.

If you have a shallow view, sure.  It *is* a problem if a program
cannot be used with entirely free dependencies, both in practical and
theoretical way.  Users can eventually make it operative in our world,
but distributing it before it happens is not encouraging that -- on
the contrary.

> Any GNU/Linux systems is not free software, even fully free
> distribution.  Because any user can install non-free software like
> Google Earth or

Now that is not our problem.  Free distros do not distribute these
things, and should not encourage the user to install them in any way.
The user ought to be free to do whatever she decides, though, and no
distro can or should attempt to prevent that.