Re: [GNU-linux-libre] A call to free software, and its users

From: Diego Saravia
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] A call to free software, and its users
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 12:15:35 -0300

2009/8/18  <address@hidden>:

>   > to such a resource. In fact we shouldn't refer to that programs
>
>   a new kind of police?
>
> I think that Ruben is talking about some policies we follow in the GNU
> Project in that respect:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/References.html#References

"A GNU program should not recommend, promote, or grant legitimacy to
the use of any non-free programe"

that is ok,

but

"However, you should give only the necessary information to help those
who already use the non-free program to use your program with it—don't
give, or refer to, any further information about the proprietary
program, and don't imply that the proprietary program enhances your
program, or that its existence is in any way a good thing. The goal
should be that people already using the proprietary program will get
the advice they need about how to use your free program with it, while
people who don't already use the proprietary program will not see
anything likely to lead them to take an interest in it. "

is fine when exists a free replacement, as is clear in the text

but when you dont have is of no application.

"To recommend mplayer is, in effect, to promote use of the non-free codecs"

the same with gnash.

--
Diego Saravia
address@hidden