[GNU-linux-libre] Re: [Gnewsense-dev] 9wm - No FSF Free

From: Rubén Rodríguez Pérez
Subject: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: [Gnewsense-dev] 9wm - No FSF Free
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 01:41:31 +0200

El vie, 28-08-2009 a las 23:48 +0100, Marco Oliva escribió:
> " The argument that there's a strongly-implied right to modify is unlikely to
> fly in many countries outside the US. "
>
> -> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing#Bad_Licenses
>
> -> http://archive.gnewsense.org/gnewsense/pool/universe/9/9wm/

It was also reported at Trisquel (thanks, Marcooliva), but I didn't have
much time to review it, as it is a tricky license this one. Its problem
is the absence of *explicit* permission for modifications:

-----------------------

9wm is free software, and is Copyright (c) 1994 by David Hogan.
  Permission is granted to all sentient beings to use this software,
  to make copies of it, and to distribute those copies, provided
  that:

      (1) the copyright and licence notices are left intact
      (2) the recipients are aware that it is free software
      (3) any unapproved changes in functionality are either
            (i) only distributed as patches
        or (ii) distributed as a new program which is not called 9wm
                and whose documentation gives credit where it is due
      (4) the author is not held responsible for any defects
          or shortcomings in the software, or damages caused by it.

  There is no warranty for this software.  Have a nice day.

Notes:

- The package is included in debian main [1]
- 9wm licence is not listed in the -informal- debian dfsg license list [2]
- The author, sadly, died [3]

1 http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=9wm
2 http://wiki.debian.org/DFSGLicenses
3 http://lwn.net/Articles/312262/