[GNU-linux-libre] wireless-compat-libre? (was: Re: libc6 and other packa

From: Daniel Clark
Subject: [GNU-linux-libre] wireless-compat-libre? (was: Re: libc6 and other package)
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 05:39:35 -0500

address@hidden wrote:
> I can definitely sympathize with your frustration. I'll have to wait
> until the next release for wi-fi to (hopefully) work on my laptop
> because the release kernel nor the freedom shoppe libre kernel
> integrates with the b43 driver, and I'll also have to wait for the next
> release to get the latest version of the free "radeonhd" driver and
> finally get 3d accelaration for my video card without updating a whole
> laundry list of dependencies.

As long as you are careful to not use the nonfree drivers it includes,
you may want to try compat-wireless -
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Download - which lets you use newer
versions of only the wireless drivers with older versions of the kernel,
linux.

I use wireless-compat for my ath9k on a Trisquel Dwyn GNU/Linux amd64
install.

It would be useful if someone would maintain a -libre version of
wireless-compat.

And then if that person or someone else would package it up to be easily
installable under Trisquel.

Cheers,
--
Daniel JB Clark   | Sys Admin, Free Software Foundation
pobox.com/~dclark | http://www.fsf.org/about/staff#danny