Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: eID-belgium

From: Paul O'Malley
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: eID-belgium
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 15:45:23 +0100

On 11/09/10 14:43, Tlamaki GNU/Linux wrote:
Let me ask your question another way.

Is it a good idea to make people use only proprietary software for any
task?

I think you will find that nobody (in this grouping at any rate) says
you should make people use proprietary software.

Regards
P.

The question raised is should Free Software do these things.
What I said should be read in this way:

If we prohibit on ethical grounds the using of this software in the family of Free Software, then we naturally enforce the use of non free software to look at these cards.

As an aside, some people make mistakes when licencing software, they say GPL and you can't charge for distributing it, and things like that. These actions make that software non free. To come back on course, to refuse to incorporate any software regardless of it's working ability is to edit peoples choices. Do you want to be the person who motivates someone to use proprietary software thus losing all chances to influence their thinking, if only by means of not making something like this (albeit objectionable function) software available although it is Free by our judgement?

If you reply please remove it, then I fear you are living with a view of the world that is in need of change, you only can only accomplish the spread of free software things by having examples you can share with your neighbour.

Being involved in Free Software can open your political vision, and while I can see and understand a protest by keeping it out of the distribution system, perhaps it would be better if you tried to submit a patch which linked to a suitable view or views of how bad the notion of national ID cards are which is what RMS himself said on this list.

Regards,
Paul