Re: [GNU-linux-libre] debian squeeze kernel freed?

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] debian squeeze kernel freed?
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 08:36:25 +1030

On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 14:48:26 +0100
Graziano <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> recently I was discussing with the amazing Alexandre Oliva about
> freedom in the upcoming Debian Squeeze Linux kernel.

Weird timing - last night i ran a deblob on said kernel!

> Debian people say they moved all nonfree firmware to the non-free

note: non-free according to DFSG, plus or minus conditions set out in
GRs.

> repository but afaik Linux-libre removes more than that.

Debian and LL disagree slightly on what constitutes firmware, and
requirement for source.

> I wonder if someone at the FSF checked the Squeeze kernel to see if it
> satisfies the FSF freedom guidelines.

The LL deblob scripts remove a lot of stuff from the squeeze kernel
package.
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)