Re: [GNU-linux-libre] firefox and thunderbird HOWTO request

From: Nicolás Reynolds
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] firefox and thunderbird HOWTO request
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 10:07:18 -0300

El 11/11/10 08:37, Karl Goetz dijo:
> On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 15:43:42 -0600
> Joshua Ismael <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Hi there.
> >
> > Both thunderbird and firefox have branding issues
> > and recommend non free plugins, so free distros
> > can't provide them but have compile another package
> > based upon it.
> >
> > For parabola we were providing icecat, but the delay
> > between firefox releases and icecat's causes some
> > troubles with our repo.
>
> What sort of troubles? Are you able to help gnuzilla to get releases
> out quicker?

Arch packages xulrunner and firefox separately. When we get a new
xulrunner version (due to a firefox update), icecat isn't released yet,
so we have to hold the old xulrunner version as an exception.

Probably not the right place to ask, but if icecat has a sort of
linux-libre script we would be glad to use it.

> > So we are thinking about compiling an unbranded
> > browser like trisquel.
> >
> > Also, we haven't changed links for thunderbird, so
> > we ask for your mozconfig for compiling both
> > projects and any patches you apply if any, or any
> > instructions that may be helpfull.
>
> Hopefully they are all in gnuzilla. If free distros are doing other
> freedom patches not in gnuzilla it would be a great thing to get into
> that project - easier for us all to share :)

The only change we make to our icecat is to disable/replace Google (hidden)
services and default search engines for privacy-aware or libre content
ones, such as duckduckgo, jamendo, etc.

About thunderbird, it comes with it's own xulrunner, does anyone knows
if it can be built against system xulrunner? Probably asking for more
version trouble :P

--
Salud!
Nicolás Reynolds,