Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Emulators

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Emulators
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 22:02:19 +1030

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 22:39:39 +0100
Sam Geeraerts <address@hidden> wrote:

> Karl Goetz wrote:
> > On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 22:45:03 +0100
> > Sam Geeraerts <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> >> Some people consider game ROMs to be artwork, but they must contain
> >> some logic too. They're unmodifiable and sourceless in any case,
> >> so I think we shouldn't provide software who's only purpose is to
> >> run those ROMs. Thoughts?
> >
> > FTR, discussed here:
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/visualboyadvance/+bug/29630
> > and http://bugs.debian.org/441978
>
> Great, both reports are linked in Launchpad but the Ubuntu bug is
> about license compatibility while the Debian bug is about incomplete
> copyright info. I expected there to be a debian-legal thread about
> the license, but I couldn't find any.

Its in the sid package:
http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-games/visualboyadvance.git;a=blob;f=src/i386/2xSaImmx.asm;h=e0f2e268b604fce4b40d75d68e93ab5f9adfe339;hb=b4f48db513b0be953df08f55c20b412f079a68ed

>  > Perhaps worth reopening?
>
> The Ubuntu bug, yes. I'll check out the latest source there first
> before I do that.

Then we should file a new bug in debian (I'll try and do it this
weekend, if no one beats me to it).
Its an RC bug if there is a file they can't distribute under the DFSG.
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
http://www.kgoetz.id.au