Re: [GNU-linux-libre] The "Free" Kernel In Debian Squeeze

From: Alexandre Oliva
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] The "Free" Kernel In Debian Squeeze
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 09:01:06 -0200

On Jan  4, 2011, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

>> My proposal does that automatically.  If filter-branch doesn't do that,
>> I think that implies filter-branch is not the same thing.

>     Compatibility as in  git pull/merge  recognizing automatically the
>     saved-away commit equivalences?

> I am not sure what that means.

It means git pull (the preferred way to bring in changes from a remote
repository) or merge (the preferred way to bring in changes from a local
branch, which may be a clone of a remote branch) ought to be able to use
these equivalences, instead of regarding the commits as unrelated.

It also means there should be another variant of git pull that, sort of
like rebase, reapplies commits from one branch to another, but that,
unlike git pull --rebase, reapplies changes from upstream on top of
local, updating the commit mapping while at that.

> The correspondence table would be saved permanently (unless you delete
> it), so the proper command could automatically move any change from
> one repository to the other.

The bit that is missing is the integration above.

We can do without the second part for the time being, although it's
somewhat inconvenient.  But without the first part, using our repository
would be far more cumbersome than using upstream.