Re: [GNU-linux-libre] How do you handle references to non-free software

From: Henry Jensen
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] How do you handle references to non-free software in public forums?
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 20:23:50 +0200

Hello Sam,

On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 20:51:50 +0200
Sam Geeraerts <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Non-free software "should be discouraged if someone brings them up."
> > All right, but in case of many new users or a high-traffic forum a
> > small team wouldn't be able to discourage every reference to non-free
> > software because of their limited resources.
>
> In case of many new users I would first of all get suspicious. It means
> you either excel at marketing (in which case you're welcome to do the
> same trick for gNewSense ;) ) or you suck at it and nobody knows that
> the distro is supposed to be fully free.

Well, I don't know if I am good at marketing or if I suck. I get
constantly new users, some are blaming me for using linux-libre because
their hardware won't work. Some are requesting that I use the "vanilla"
kernel. I regularly respond to such posts, pointing them to h-node.com
and try to explain why it is important to use free and avoid non-free
software. Some people understand this, but some are not. Well, I heard
rumors that there might be a external NON-FSDG repo or even a NON-FSDG
fork in the planning. If it will happen I have no means or the will to
stop it. It is free software, after all.

But: I regularly read the suggestion "use non-free" at Debian help forums.
How can I respond to the same suggestion from arbitrary users posting at
the forum?

> Or not, and then your community implodes and all your
> worries are over. :)

Let's hope not ...