Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Trademark licenses, example in Firefox

From: Diego Saravia
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Trademark licenses, example in Firefox
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 09:10:29 -0300

> Yes, they _are_ the sources of forked projects.

if every time the sources changed, you rebuild your project, you dont
have a forked project.

> If you want to be upstream, then start your own projects, make them
> better than Linux and Firefox and people will use them. If you can pull that,
> superb! I'll be thrilled, I'll get you a chocolate chip cookie and maybe even
> a cup of milk to go along.

yes.

> In the meantime, as long as the rest of us can get some usable free source

its not a source, call it compilable tarball if you like, but not source

> (regardless of where the source comes from or if we are a fork or upstream)

if it is not THE source (could only be one) you must not call it source.

> and distribute it following the 4 precepts of the free software definition
> according to the FSF, that's good for us (at least it is for me).

Its ok for me also, but what these kind of proyect produce is not THE source

> Ideally I'd like Linux-libre and GNU IceCat to be the "father" projects of
> Linux and Firefox.

I to

> Ideally I'd like everybody using the libre versions instead
> of the less-than-libre versions.

In case of linux libre, there is some hardware that cannot be used, so
the ideal is to have free software for all hardware

linux libre is good, but not an ideal.

>Sadly, it is not an ideal world.

I agree

> Complaining
> about Mozilla or Linux in this mailing list won't make the world any more
> ideal.

I am not complaining about Mozilla or Linux, I am not complaining at all.

>On the other hand, doing what Giuseppe or Alexandre do does benefit us.

Yes, is a good job.

> Forking is one of the benefits of free software. And, yes, GNU IceCat and
> Linux-libre are forks even if you don't consider them that.

A fork is a split, a new point of begining.

> If you don't like
> it or if you don't think that's beneficial, refer to my previous comment.
> I may not use Firefox or Linux, but I'm thankful for the effort put behind
> those projects because they allow us to have GNU IceCat and Linux-libre, which
> are 100% free.

I am thankfull also

> Your truth.

off course, I can only speak about what I believe.

> So, what I wonder is: besides pointing out the supposed elephant in the room,

Its not an elephant.

> what's the purpose of all your emails? What action do you propose should be
> taken? Starting new projects when we already have 100% free projects seems
> ridiculous to me.

We do have a copy and cut project. We must have 100% free original
projects. Knowing that
is the first step to reach that point. Could be done if original
projects get 100% free, or
by new projects, etc.. But if we think that everything si ok, we will
never be where we want to be.

People is the really source, the really asset of free software
community. If real developers do not feel the need
for free software we are dead. Two important projects as linux and
mozilla are in a non free path. We need 100% free projects developed
by 100% free minds.

> Do you have any other proposal or should we leave this
> thread die?

You can do whatever you like. I give you my blessings.