Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Free software and open source

From: Alexandre Oliva
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Free software and open source
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 18:36:21 -0300

On Aug 29, 2011, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

> For instance, many Android phones contain tivoized versions of Linux.
> Those executables are open source

Are they, really?  Few years ago, I got in touch with the OSI board
asking them whether they believed Tivoized software fit their
definition.  I was hoping they'd agree it didn't fit and perhaps start
opposing it, on the grounds that Tivoization discriminated against
Fields of Endeavor.  I got mixed responses from them, but nothing
official or definitive.

It might be nice to try to get an official decision from them, so that
they either join our fight against Tivoization, or provide us with an
irrefutable argument about differences between our position and theirs
that would be understandable even by those who refuse to take ethical
and moral considerations into account.