[GNU-linux-libre] Linux & GPLv3

From: Jason Self
Subject: [GNU-linux-libre] Linux & GPLv3
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 20:50:58 -0500

There was a recent discussion about the Linux kernel and GPLv3 on a
mailing list and it made me wonder how much stuff is licensed under v2 only
terms.

So I fed Linux-libre 3.1.4 to FOSSology so I can look for things that
would get in the way of moving to v3. Not that Linus ever would, but
perhaps Linux-libre could...

Of the 36,944 that make up Linux-libre 3.1.4, 8,910 are GPLv2 only. That's
about 24% being v2 only. I expected more.

The rest are v2 or later, don't specify a version (and can therefore any
use version of the GPL), or are under a permissive license that would also
be compatible with v3. Is there any benefit to me doing continued research
like identifying who the copyright holders of those files are or anything
else?