Re: [GNU-linux-libre] snprintf license

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] snprintf license
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 20:15:41 +0200

Op Tue, 30 Jul 2013 14:17:21 +0200
schreef Mark Martinec <address@hidden>:

> I'm sorry about the licensing confusion. In retrospect the
> Frontier Artistic License was a very bad idea, but at the time
> it seemed like a cleaned-up Artistic License.
>
> The portable snprintf is still dual licensed, GPL v2 can still
> be chosen and will remain so.

Excellent. Thanks for clearing that up.

> I was considering dropping the Frontier Artistic License and
> replacing it with a new BSD license (while keeping the
> dual-licensing GPL 2 choice) - but I never got to releasing
> a new version.
>
> If you are interested, I can provide my current snprintf version 2.5,
> so you can decide if it has anything beyond 2.2 that would be
> interesting to your project.

As a distribution, we mostly depend on upstream projects for technical
improvements. If your new version has nice improvements, we could file
feature requests to include it.

Dropping the FAL in favor of the Modified BSD license (or
X11 license) and having the license situation crystal clear would be
very interesting features for us and our fellow distributions.

The terms and conditions paragraph on your web page is good for dual
licensing. It would be nice to see that also in the header of the
source code files and in the README. Putting a copy of both license
texts in the archive would round it off perfectly.

Kind regards,
Sam Geeraerts