[GNU-linux-libre] Announcement: slack-n-free repo

From: Henry Jensen
Subject: [GNU-linux-libre] Announcement: slack-n-free repo
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2013 01:06:23 +0200

Many GNU/Linux enthusiasts had contact with with the Slackware
GNU/Linux distro and appreciate it's clear structure. Slackware
follows the Unix and KISS principles very strictly.

Slackware is the oldest surviving and still maintained GNU/Linux distro
out there. For experienced GNU/Linux users Slackware is very simple to
administrate. That's why many GNU/Linux users prefer the simplicity of
Slackware over GUI driven configuration wizards

Unfortunately Slackware does not have a clear policy about what
software can be included, and nonfree blobs are included in Linux, the
kernel.

There are sevceral fully free distros which are based on popular
GNU/Linux Distros, for example Trisquel, which is based on Ubuntu, BLAG
is based on RedHat/Fedora and Parabola GNU/Linux is based on Arch. But
there curiously there is no fully free Slackware equivalent.

For this reason I've created the "slack-n-free" repo. It is not a
complete distro. As for now there are builds of the Linux-Libre kernel
available, tracking Slackware kernel builds with version numbers
corresponding to Slackwares.

You can find the repo at

  http://www.connochaetos.org/slack-n-free/

The usual "generic" and "huge" kernel builds are available vor i686 (32
bit) and amd64 (x86_64, 64) bit.

Depending on future interest there may be additionally and liberated
packages available for Slackware later.

Hint:
The binary packages are signed with my GPG key. You can download my
public key at http://www.connochaetos.org/slack-n-free/key.asc.