Re: [GNU-linux-libre] RLSD GNU/Linux-libre 2.x

From: fr33domlover
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] RLSD GNU/Linux-libre 2.x
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 13:16:52 +0300

Hello,

On 2015-04-16
"Jason Self" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Ineiev wrote:
> > I'm not sure the exception should apply to it.
>
> Yeah, the idea was that it was for embedded distros that target
> machines with insufficient storage, RAM & CPU power to compile their
> own software themselves. The exception doesn't make much sense outside
> of the embedded world.

What if a distro is not self-hosting, but can be built from another fully free
distro which is on the FSF's list of free distros?

Consider that adding development tools and the entire toolchain for several
languages in which the tools are written, and handling dependencies, may be a
considerable amount of work. But what is the gain? RLSD already builds from
Trisquel iirc, i.e. it already builds from a fully free distro.

Does the fact that it can't build itself make it unsuitable for the FSF's list?
Perhaps the rules can be changed or an exception made? After all, how does it
really matter whether a distro builds itself or from another free distro,
especially if it's small without any development tools?

I'd ask RMS. Is he subscribed to this list (or should I send to him directly)?