Re: [GNU-linux-libre] MAME

From: Felipe Sanches
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] MAME
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2016 19:14:23 -0300

Now people seem to thing that the definition of "firmware" is
something like "piece of lowlevel program without freedom-respecting
source-code" :-P That's not true! Look how crazy this situation has
got

Not only Libreboot is an example of freedom-respecting firmware
project, I could also mention the Rockbox project as well (and also
the Arduino bootloader and probably many other sw freedom projects).
Thus, it is pretty clear that "being non-free" is not a necessary
characteristic of a piece of software for it to be called "firmware".