Re: [GNU-linux-libre] MAME emulator is giving incentive to use non-free

From: Ivan Zaigralin
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] MAME emulator is giving incentive to use non-free software
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2016 16:29:48 -0700

Of course there are holdouts. You know of one. But they are
disappearing, while the historical use of such emulators becomes more
and more relevant. So while you are probably more right at this moment,
my points are becoming more and more valid every day, and MAME is
turning from overall malicious to useful in the near future.

I mean, even your b.i.l. seems to be motivated by the retro and d.i.y.
aspect of it all, not the ads. And the non-free software in question is
not even utility software, it's pure entertainment, and it's perfectly
safe. It is true we cannot study, improve, or share it, but that does
not make _using_ it either dangerous or unethical. It makes absolutely
no sense to protect anyone from running these games, especially if that
results in people building cabinets and inviting friends over, instead
of paying micro$oft or $ony to install a $500 audio/video bug their your
house.

Consider also that the software component of these things is becoming
ever more trivial by today's standards. For an apt analogy, just think
of these games as interactive books, and MAME as a viewer. These games
are works of art and art historians must be able to view them. There
will never again be a non-free software ecosystem there, but thanks to
MAME a free software ecosystem may yet develop.