Re: [GNU-linux-libre] criteria for listing as fully free [was: Uruk GNU/

From: Ineiev
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] criteria for listing as fully free [was: Uruk GNU/Linux evaluation]
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2016 03:46:19 -0400

On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 08:06:06AM +0200, Jaromil wrote:

> I think people here should perceive their own agency as that of
> curators, not gatekeepers.

I don't think we are gatekeepers or curators. the GNU project provides
practical recommendations for distributions for general public to use.
it isn't helpful to recommend a dead distro (not when any active
ones are available).

> In case a proper curatorial activity is beyond your reach, I invite
> you and colleagues to reconsider this position and limit this
> initiative to review distributions that are 100% free. The definition
> of "actively maintained" is too blurred and connects to other issues
> and indicators that are debatable case-by-case and not even specified
> in the 100% free definition. As a matter of fact many of the
> distributions that are today considered 100% free would have never
> made it, no matter how 100% free, useful and significant for people to
> discover the free software movement they ever where.

I'm sorry, I failed to parse: "would have never made it"... what does "it"
refer to? "would have never made" if?