Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Uruk GNU/Linux evaluation

From: Jaromil
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Uruk GNU/Linux evaluation
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2016 15:19:30 +0200

On Tue, 28 Jun 2016, André Silva wrote:

> On 06/28/2016 06:45 AM, Ali Abdul Ghani wrote:
> >> suggests: the source for Uruk is already 100% free Trisquel, so the
> > Please Say "uruk gnu/linux" not " uruk"
> > When you             say "uruk"
> > you Refer to uruk project
> > uruk is project
> > and uruk gnu/linux is part from this project
> >
> > se
> > https://urukproject.org
>
> In short, "Uruk" is the project and "Uruk GNU/Linux" is the operating
> system that "Uruk" makes.

Thanks. I'm personally very pleased with the way Uruk is
presented. The translations are also impressive, I can tell the
Italian one is of good quality and I think is a great project to
introduce people to Free Software.

Also is very inspiring to know someone in Iraq is doing all this, for
so many reasons. It is empowering and it leads to excellent materials
for self-taught education, which is something even more precious in a
war zone. With the streamtime.org collective we worked with the Iraqi
Linux User Group back 10 years ago, until it existed, in contact with
Bassam Hassan &co
https://www.linux.com/news/adventure-iraqi-freedom-streamtime-and-floss
I now wonder if we had any contact with Ali back then.

Every distribution, if well made, is a curated environment introducing
people to the ethics and aesthetics of Free Software. This
consideration is also not directly connected to the theme of being
100% free, but just like other distros with sound ethical goals as
recycling old hardware, Uruk GNU/Linux deserves our attention, advice
and understanding, IMHO

ciao