Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Uruk GNU/Linux evaluation

From: Joshua Gay
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Uruk GNU/Linux evaluation
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2016 16:32:49 -0400

On 07/01/2016 03:28 PM, Dima Krasner wrote:
> ---- On Fri, 01 Jul 2016 21:35:16 +0300 *Joshua Gay <address@hidden>*
> wrote ----
>

>     We have decided to update the GNU Free Distribution Guidelines to state
>     that a distro can rely upon the repositories of another 100% free
>     distro
>     that is listed on the free-distros page. The exact wording of this has
>     not been figured out, but, the fact that Uruk relies upon Trisquel
>     GNU/Linux should no longer be viewed as a blocker.
>

> What about not self-hosting distros, built using another 100% free distro?

The self-hosting requirement and the small system distribution exception
are part of the "Complete Distro" requirement. This section will not be
effected by the new exception.

The new exception will be to the section "Commitment to Correct
Mistakes". This requirement states: "Our requirement is for the
distribution developers to have a firm commitment to promptly correct
any mistakes that are reported to them." There is one situation where we
will find it acceptable if the distribution developers are not able to
promptly correct a mistake reported to them and that is if they can not
do this because they are relying upon repositories which are hosted by
another 100% free distro which is also listed on
<https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html>. In that situation, it
will be expected that the distro developers will file a nonfree bug
against the 100% free distro.

I haven't figured out the exact wording of the exception yet, but that
is the general idea.