Re: [GNU-linux-libre] review PureOS ISO

From: Jaromil
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] review PureOS ISO
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2016 17:13:00 +0100

On Wed, 09 Nov 2016, Zlatan Todoric wrote:

> >>We do not recommend nor faciliate installation of non-free software, and if
> >>the bios firmware is the issue then all OSes fail on any hardware post 2009
> >>- but I thought OS is separate from hardware in this discussion, maybe I am
> >>wrong.
> >this is the misunderstanding then.
> >
> >because you are recommending the option of getting your distribution
> >through a pre-installed medium (a laptop PC) which includes non-free
> >software (as its bios), then its hard to "separate from hardware in
> >this discussion". People here evaluate a sort of "user journey" to see
> >if, as someone approaching your distribution, one would ever be
> >proposed to use/install non-free software. That it should be so it is
> >clearly stated in the 100% free guidelines published by the FSF.
>
> That is our business model, what is the problem there?

to have a business model is not a problem.

The problem is that on the pureOS website you promote acquiring the
distribution through a medium that also vehicles non-free software.

I recommend you look into libreboot.org. If you'd sell pre-installed
laptops flashed with libre-boot, that would solve the issue.

> Bashing us for taking different pathway (to yours) to spread FLOSS
> into hands of average user will gain you nothing.

I'm sorry you perceive me as bashing you. I don't think I'm really
bashing you, nor I have any interest to do so. I do believe we need
more 100% distros and also good business stories around them.

ciao