Re: [GNU-linux-libre] review PureOS ISO

From: Zlatan Todoric
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] review PureOS ISO
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2016 17:16:06 +0100

On 11/09/2016 05:13 PM, Jaromil wrote:
On Wed, 09 Nov 2016, Zlatan Todoric wrote:

On 11/09/2016 04:52 PM, Jaromil wrote:
On Wed, 09 Nov 2016, Zlatan Todoric wrote:

tl;dr - an 100% free distro should not include, recommend nor
          facilitate the installation of non-free software. a bios
          firmware is also distributed software
We do not recommend nor faciliate installation of non-free software, and if
the bios firmware is the issue then all OSes fail on any hardware post 2009
- but I thought OS is separate from hardware in this discussion, maybe I am
wrong.
this is the misunderstanding then.

because you are recommending the option of getting your distribution
through a pre-installed medium (a laptop PC) which includes non-free
software (as its bios), then its hard to "separate from hardware in
this discussion". People here evaluate a sort of "user journey" to see
if, as someone approaching your distribution, one would ever be
proposed to use/install non-free software. That it should be so it is
clearly stated in the 100% free guidelines published by the FSF.
That is our business model, what is the problem there?
to have a business model is not a problem.

The problem is that on the pureOS website you promote acquiring the
distribution through a medium that also vehicles non-free software.
Nope https://puri.sm/pureos/download/ - we don't say you must buy our hardware, we just give you here link to download and instructions how to put it on USB.

I recommend you look into libreboot.org. If you'd sell pre-installed
laptops flashed with libre-boot, that would solve the issue.

Bashing us for taking different pathway (to yours) to spread FLOSS
into hands of average user will gain you nothing.
I'm sorry you perceive me as bashing you. I don't think I'm really
bashing you, nor I have any interest to do so. I do believe we need
more 100% distros and also good business stories around them.

ciao

I will stop responding to mails trying to attach our OS with our hardware. This is for FSF Free distro endorsement, and the other is for RYF hardware - stop combining the two things.