Re: [GNU-linux-libre] review PureOS ISO

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] review PureOS ISO
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 08:10:19 +0300

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 08:51:14AM +1100, Riley Baird wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Nov 2016 10:01:51 -0800
> Ivan Zaigralin <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > non-free hard/software
>
> What, so now the FSDG don't allow you to recommend non-free hardware?
>
> > The FSDG could not be clearer on this point: it will not approve
> > any project that advertises and/or delivers non-free software
>
> Should Trisquel be able to create a list of computers with compatible
> hardware?

When I land on a web page of free system distribution, I don't expect
it to recommend me any non-free hardware. With some tags on such
hardware, like Trisquel has made a list, it gives me a freedom of
choice.

If I am however attracted to PureOS, arriving to Puri.sm website,
these are all "meanings" in the names, and then I come to Notebook
"Librem", these are all targeted words for certain group of users, I
feel it is targeted for me. Then again I get Librem notebook with
non-free blobs, whatever. Hypocrisy. I don't expect that from a free
system distribution.

So:

Any hardware, containing and kind of software inside, and recommended
by free system distributions shall be compatible with Free System
Distribution Guidelines. This way, blobs, firmware, non-free software
in such hardware would not be recommended to users of free
software. Finally, that type of software often has a potential power
to take over the full computing control.

The non-free hardware has been recommended to users over few
decades. The Free System Distributions and Free Software movement is
to make a turn and change there, it is not there to promote non-free
software and non-free BIOS, it is there to eradicate it.

Wordnet:

2. (1) hypocrisy -- (insincerity by virtue of pretending to have
qualities or beliefs that you do not really have)

Jean Louis