Re: [GNU-linux-libre] review PureOS ISO

From: Jeff F.
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] review PureOS ISO
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 01:28:53 -0500

Le jeudi 10 novembre 2016 à 8:10 +0300, Jean Louis a écrit :
> When I land on a web page of free system distribution, I don't expect
> it to recommend me any non-free hardware. With some tags on such
> hardware, like Trisquel has made a list, it gives me a freedom of
> choice.
>
> If I am however attracted to PureOS, arriving to Puri.sm website,
> these are all "meanings" in the names, and then I come to Notebook
> "Librem", these are all targeted words for certain group of users, I
> feel it is targeted for me. Then again I get Librem notebook with
> non-free blobs, whatever. Hypocrisy. I don't expect that from a free
> system distribution.
>
> So: Any hardware, containing and kind of software inside, and
> recommended by free system distributions shall be compatible with
> Free System Distribution Guidelines. This way, blobs, firmware, non-
> free software in such hardware would not be recommended to users of
> free software. Finally, that type of software often has a potential
> power to take over the full computing control. The non-free hardware
> has been recommended to users over few decades. The Free System
> Distributions and Free Software movement is to make a turn and change
> there, it is not there to promote non-free software and non-free
> BIOS, it is there to eradicate it.
>
> Wordnet:
> 2. (1) hypocrisy -- (insincerity by virtue of pretending to have
> qualities or beliefs that you do not really have)

Non. Stop. Take a good, hard look at the PureOS website:
https://puri.sm/pureos/

It does not, anywhere, in any way, "recommend non-free hardware".
It tries to promote user freedom in almost every sentence.
It uses the right terminology everywhere as far as I can see.
It explicitly encourages you to use it no matter the computer you have.

There is absolutely no part of
https://gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.en.html
...that says that a distro website cannot be part of another website.

I'm surprised you keep coming up with FUD and red herrings in this
thread, instead of helping a group of people who try to make the
business case for Free Software by making it palatable to a wider
audience while staying true to everything Free Software stands for.

As Zlatan pointed out many times, this is about getting this fully Free
Software distribution endorsed as being what it is. It has nothing to
do with whatever hardware you, a company, or "Joe Plumber" next door
decides to install it on willfully.

I'm not assuming everything is perfect. Any missing documentation or
mentions, we can fix. Any other remaining communication issues, visual
design issues, we can fix as well. AFAIK, PureOS devs and sysadmins are
doing all they can to get everything lined up as soon as possible, so
please keep this thread focused and constructive.

Therefore, please share any remaining actionable bugs that need fixing
to get this Free *Software* GNU/Linux distribution endorsed, and I'm
confident we will get them resolved pretty quickly. It appears to me
this should be a fairly straightforward process, all in all.

I would love to hear feedback from official FSF representatives about
anything that may remain to be solved to get this moving forward.

Thanks,
Jeff