Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Perfectionism

From: Julie Marchant
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Perfectionism
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 09:42:04 -0500

On 11/10/2016 09:15 AM, Jeff F. wrote:
> It _is_ "styled differently" now. That it wasn't before was a technical
> issue as a result of redoing the whole website (and before that, it was
> a technical limitation).

It's not styled distinctly. It's a slight variation of the same style of
puri.sm. Heck, the logo of PureOS is almost identical to the logo of
Purism, too.

> The only thing that references Purism, besides the one-liner disclaimer
> at the very bottom of the page (if we didn't put that, then I'm pretty
> sure people would then argue that we didn't put such a disclaimer, etc.
> etc.), is the domain name in the browser's address bar. As Zlatan
> pointed out, other domain names were already taken.

There are domain names that are not already taken. It took me all of 10
seconds to find one. I'm sure there must be hundreds of reasonable
domain names that could be used.

> Anyway, as I replied in the PureOS software certification thread:
>
> There is absolutely no part of
> https://gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.en.html
> ...that says that a distro website cannot be part of another website.
> So your argument stands only on your personal opinion.

Being a part of another website isn't the issue. The issue is being a
part of another website primarily focused on selling laptops that
include and depend on proprietary software, which any user is going to
see is directly connected to PureOS.

If erasing the "PureOS" part of the URL led to nothing, or if it led to
e.g. the page of a Web hosting company, that would be very different.

--
Julie Marchant
https://onpon4.github.io

Protect your emails with GnuPG: