Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Fully FOSS Tails OS

From: Kurtis Hanna
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Fully FOSS Tails OS
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2017 11:16:00 +0000

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli:
> On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 15:04:44 +0100
> hellekin <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Parazyd is working on https://heads.dyne.org/
> There is also a HEADS distribution at
> https://github.com/osresearch/heads

This github project by osresearch is more of a Tails version of
Libreboot.org than a FOSS version of Tails. I asked him on Twitter if
he's heard of libreboot, but he didn't answer:
https://twitter.com/CaptainKurtis/status/816007828901072896

Anyways, I was going to follow up that question to osresearch by asking
him why he doesn't base his Heads work on Libreboot, instead of using
Libreboot's upstream Coreboot, which has some proprietary blobs. Here's
a talk about this Heads:
https://media.ccc.de/v/33c3-8314-bootstraping_a_slightly_more_secure_laptop#video&t=2761

It's funny that you could use the Heads bios replacement program to boot
into Heads the distribution once it is published. Ha ha. A Heads+Heads
stack! That's almost as funny as a Heads+Tails stack.

>> that provides an alternate Tails with the linux-libre kernel.
>> Joining forces?
> This is great! I hope it will respect the free software distribution
> guidelines(FSDG). If so we could have freedom and privacy.

I know! I'm extremely excited for the possibility of this happening!
Also, the Tails to Arm port keeps progressing at a steady pace:
https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/10972

Can't wait to run a fully FOSS version of Tails, fork or not, on a brand
new store bought ARM Chromebook that's been liberated of all blobs by
flashing it with Libreboot. Bonus points if the security aspects of
Heads the bios replacement is ported to Libreboot.
https://minifree.org/product/libreboot-c201/

> Having to choose between both is a very difficult dylema.
> It also often leads to lot of ultra complicated and time consuming
> discussions[1], which could be avoided in the first place if there was
> no such dylema.
>
> Fixing the dylema technically is probably faster than waiting for an
> outcome of such discussions.

#HackTheFuture

In Solidarity,
Kurtis