Re: [GNU-linux-libre] youtube-dl might be running non-free software from

From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] youtube-dl might be running non-free software from
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2017 10:14:48 -0300

Also, as I and rain1 debated in the #trisquel IRC channel:

- rain1 mentioned that in the past, youtube-dl used to hard-code the
  functions:

[[https://github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/blob/b513a251f8ba1123617ece96bff30e3f2863c6c2/youtube_dl/extractor/youtube.py#L331]].

- Taking what is suggested by various free/libre software speakers
  (/e.g./: Stallman), I applied the worst case scenario comparison to
  the non-free JS in which youtube-dl seem to depend on. Suppose that
  JSInterpreter would indeed be free/libre software, since Magic Banana
  and other people (in the Trisquel topics that were referenced in early
  messages) consider JSInterpreter to be "Turing-complete", and since
  YouTube's JS is already non-free, if YouTube decides to go mad and do
  something the end-user doesn't want to --- which I already assume
  so even out of this example --- then YouTube only needs to write the
  bad features in JavaScript in order for the visitor/user to blindly
  use it it.

- I suggested rain1 that the decoder for a libre version of youtube-dl
  would probably need to be hard-coded.

- Just now, it also came to me that we could base the code from the
  ViewTube GreaseMonkey script, or from YouTube All HTML 5 add-on. But
  we have to research on how both do the signature decryption.