Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Reviewing ConnochaetOS

From: Henry Jensen
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Reviewing ConnochaetOS
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2017 00:10:39 +0200

Am Sun, 06 Aug 2017 14:27:01 -0700 (PDT)
schrieb "Jason Self" <address@hidden>:

> > the usage of Linux-Libre is not mentioned as a requirement in
> > the FSDG
>
> But that it must take care not to recommend nonfree software is and,
> if you were to examine the previous messages I've linked to, the
> consensus on this mailing list going back years has been that the
> notion that the Linux kernel logging firmware names when they're
> missing is not desirable. The list archives may very well provide
> other such references as well.

Yes, thank you for linking to the messages. RMS mentions a change
"to obfuscate the names of the firmware files" instead of failing. Last
time I checked, the situation hasn't changed, Linux-Libre still rejects
firmware files. And that is the very reason I chose to use the
de-blobbing mechanism of Debian instead of Linux-Libre.

> But if your decision is to continue to push back on this and leave the
> request_firmware calls in place and unmodified, then I think my review
> of ConnochaetOS is over.

That is, of course, for you to decide. However, I didn't found any
official statement (meaning a statement at fsf.org or gnu.org), that
writing names of proprietary firmware files in a log file are rendering
a distro not recommendable or a software as not usable in a fully free
distro. Some random messages on this list are not official
statements.

Greetings,

Henry