Re: [GNU-linux-libre] youtube-dl might be running non-free software from

From: J.B. Nicholson
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] youtube-dl might be running non-free software from
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2017 18:58:24 -0500

Adonay Felipe Nogueira wrote:
Finally, I just hope YouTube doesn't change the way it handles videos to
something more complex/non-trivial. This is my worry so far --- that
once YouTube makes it complex/non-trivial, then ViewTube (and
youtube-dl) follows the changes.

This is another reason to promote the use of the Internet Archive at https://archive.org/. archive.org imposes no DRM, no obfuscation, and no barriers to downloading copies of works. archive.org (unlike youtube.com) will distribute the exact file(s) you upload as well as its own site-made derivatives. YouTube always distributes resampled copies of audiovisual material. And I don't think YouTube has any facility to distribute anything but audiovisual works; no other kinds of documents are distributable (as far as I know), so archive.org offers a compelling advantage here as there's no limit to the kinds of data on can distribute with archive.org.

This is all great news for people using their own means (such as their own blog, forum/mailing list posts, etc.) to distribute copies of digital works.

The vast majority of YouTube users aren't looking to make money from the site, they want a place to upload stuff to share with others. archive.org offers this. And for the minority who want to make money by distributing new videos, one can host the videos on their own site (perhaps with a GNU MediaGoblin instance on a domain of their choice hosted on one of a large number of hosters) and charge for early access to the new stuff, run ads there, or offer subscription-only access there. Nothing about hosting with archive.org prevents making money with one's uploads. Nobody needs archive.org membership to download from them, and anyone can host discussions anywhere they like (it doesn't have to be hosted at archive.org although they will host that too).