Re: [GNU-linux-libre] PureOS added to endorsed distro list - what about

From: Alexandre Oliva
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] PureOS added to endorsed distro list - what about the kernel?
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 02:54:24 -0200

On Jan 20, 2018, bill-auger <address@hidden> wrote:

> i must say though that it did not address what is the actual
> behavior preventing the debian kernel from being acceptable,

I didn't try to address that, and I'm afraid I don't know the answer
myself, not having looked at the Debian kernel in detail any further
than to get slightly acquainted with the general approach.  I'm told it
is Free Software, which is good, but I had got the idea that it did not
meet the GNU FSDG until PureOS, AFAIK carrying the (Debian main only?)
bits of the Debian kernel, made the endorsed distro list.  I'll defer
judgment and clarification to the FSF.

If I had to guess, I'd say the fact that the distro controls the hotplug
script, the repositories, the package installer, and whatnot, places
them at an advantage over what we have to do in GNU Linux-libre to
ensure it behaves within the FSDG, and maybe the requesting and logging
of firmware, even non-Free, is not deemed a problem because the other
system components take care of them, and the non-Free bits are not
available for installation anyway, unless other repos containing those
bits are configured.  But that's just a personal guess.

Free Software Evangelist|Red Hat Brasil GNU Toolchain Engineer