Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Hyperbola: Other "Information for practical use" u

From: bill-auger
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Hyperbola: Other "Information for practical use" under a free license
Date: Mon, 14 May 2018 09:51:31 -0400

On Mon, 2018-05-14 at 05:16 -0400, Ineiev wrote:
> In fact, many free software licenses have provisions
> against misrepresentation of the origin: I can't modify
> a program and say that it comes from the original authors
> unchanged; this still doesn't make that program nonfree
> in the sense of modifications.

indeed, this is true for software licenses like GPL - and to underline the
"unchanged" but: it also requires that modifications must be clearly noted as
such - so even the GPL would be a better choice for "works stating an opinion"
than the free culture licenses

the free culture licenses are much too weak in my opinion in - in the case of
most artwork and music, they reduce to "freeware" blobs with not so much as
indication of the underlying composite source layers and scripts that created it
- i would really like to see free culture proponents to start recommending the
GPL as it is the only applicable license that requires source materials to be
declared and offered, requires modifications to be clearly attributed and noted
as such, and so on